Monday, November 17, 2003

I've met Jake La Motta's Granddaughter, and you haven't

Where is Georgy? No bloggie for Georgie lately.

Today is my birthday.

Ha-ha. As if anyone gives a shit.

I'm 38. Slightly encrusted, but still pretty handsome and can deliver the goods. Well, actually, to be honest, it has been so long since I've made a delivery, that I can not say for sure whether I'm still capable, yet, theoretically I should be able to deliver.

My mother and my stepfather took me to O'Leary's in Boston for dinner, where I had a portion of Dublin style Fish 'n Chips, the size of which was fit for a mouse or perhaps a skinny rat. They had a very good atmosphere though. Played live, traditional Irish music, which help to drown out sound of my mother and stepfather, who can get rather annoying at times.

Coming back to my place I was hearing this cool radio show. The DJ was playing clips of Scorsese movies in between some very cool songs. He played this bit from "Raging Bull," and it made me think of La Motta -- not Jake La Motta, played by Robert De Nero in "Raging Bull," but Jake La Motta's granddaughter, who I met in my college dorm room. She was with her boyfriend at the time, who happened to be there to do some business with my roommate. I remember her as one of the nicest people I've ever met. But it's more than that. There was such lovable innocence and life to this girl. I don't remember her name. She introduced herself to me as so-and-so La Matta, then looked at me with anticipation as if I was supposed to know her. She said "La Matta..." again, as if she was trying to jog my memory ... "Raging Bull ... Jake La Matta ... I'm his granddaughter." I was impressed. But I guess more impressed with the sweet way she presented herself. We didn't talk for long. Her boyfriend wanted to go. I never saw her again. She was beautiful, but what left such a large impression on me in the 2 or 3 minutes we talked was how friendly she was to me. Most people aren't that nice to me.

Jake La Motta has said himself about how brutal and rotten he was to his wife, but he couldn't have been all that bad to have come out with such a great granddaughter.

No comments: